Sunday, February 1, 2009

Morality in Games

I enjoy blowing shit up. Really, I do. Pigeons are fun to blow up. Buildings, orphanages, hospitals, asylums, homeless shelters, insurgent dens, people, trees, people, people, people, and people. So why make me feel sorry for it? It's like throwing hammers at a retarded heroin addict and calling them cotton balls. It doesn't work.

I'm talking about video games, not real life. Of course, murder is bad, murder illegal. But when a game designer tries desperately for you to feel a connection to your enemy and succeeds greatly you begin to regret certain actions.

For example, I was assigned to kill some old dude in Oblivion. So, naturally, I hid above him in an attic as the game so humbly requested. And by some miracle I could hear the sad sack of bones talking about how empty his life was. I've done this quest enough times to know that this shouldn't be happening, but low and behold it is. Well, since he hates his life, all the more reason to kill him, right? Fucking WRONG.

He goes on about his history, and it it's getting to me. It's like a hardcore blues song with a 30 minute vocal solo of a woman crying over her miscarriage. And naturally, this leads me to question some decisions I have, and am deciding to make. Do I really wanna kill this man? Or should I let him wallow in his sea of sorrow? (Blatant Alice in Chains reference). The little angel on my shoulder says, "well, yeah, taking a life is wrong yo. Says so in that one thing, that bible whatchamacallit." And the devil says, "crush the fuck with a buffalo head." So I take the latter option and cave his skull into his ribcage.

I thoroughly regret such a decision as I'm walking down Burma's main road. And now, every damn time I blow up a house, set a forest fire, run over a pedestrian, grenade tag a locust, reduce something to a bloody pile I question it and wonder what it is I have killed. So, just between me and you, morality sucks ass and screw you Bethesda. Morality in games doesn't work for me, in any way. If it works for, fine, whatever floats your boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment